Ok so truth time—I have been having all the chocolate cravings recently, along with only wanting to eat these grain free skillet pizza eggs and Cappello’s grain free pasta. But hey, add a side salad (loaded with farmers market goodness, which I also have been eating by the plateful) and lets call it health food! Really, I don’t believe in eating food just because it is “healthy” but it should be tasty and totally satisfying too!
I have been completely avoiding sugar these past few weeks, and honestly feel so much more energized, but every once in a while I just want something chocolatey. Raw cacao is loaded with nutrients and chocolate in its pure form! Many of you have asked me to share a bit more of living daily with Type 1 diabetes and I have been so inspired to share more with you all, usually its something thats pretty hard for me to open up about, so this recipe is perfect for that. Considering there are a lot of foods I choose not to eat, I love recreating my favorites, because food is fun and I don’t like going without the foods I love to eat, like this chocolate milk!
So, in attempts to remedy the situation of wanting a cold afternoon treat, I created this moo-less creamy chocolate milk and it is absolutely delightful when served iced cold or a few spoonfuls as an addition to my morning cup of coffee. This dairy free chocolate milk seriously hits the spot!
The best part is that it is basically entirely sugar free—I only added a tablespoon to the whole batch, but you can see in the suggestions that that amount can be altered based off your preference. If you are introducing friends or even your children to more of a real food/Paleo based lifestyle, you may want to increase the sweetener. Remember your taste buds do change over time, so you will eventually get adjusted to something “less sweet.”
This recipe makes a lot, but I promise you will be reaching for a second glass! It is best ice cold, so I actually made mine into a mocha using half coffee and half chocolate milk. Enjoy!
Creamy Dairy Free Cashew Chocolate Milk
Classic chocolate milk made dairy free and mostly sugar free using a creamy cashew milk base and nutrient dense raw cacao powder.
- 4 cups filtered water + more for soaking
- 2 cups raw cashew pieces*
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt, divided
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat & unsweetened
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1-3 tbsp maple syrup, depending on desired sweetness preference
*I use raw cashew pieces as they are generally more cost effective than whole cashews. If using whole cashes you will probably need to use slightly more than 2 cups to create the same amount.
- Place the cashew pieces and half of the salt into a bowl, covering completely with water. Set aside to soak for 2 hours. Strain the cashews and rinse them with water.
- Add the soaked cashews, 4 cups of water, remainder of the salt, coconut milk, cacao powder and maple syrup to a blender.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute or until completely smooth.
- Transfer the milk to an airtight glass jar and chill for at least 4 hours before enjoying. Keeps for about 4 days in the refrigerator, shake before enjoying.
- To make an iced mocha—add equal parts coffee and milk, with a few handfuls of ice.