Learn how to make this creamy, crunchy Paleo cole slaw without a recipe and only a handful of ingredients!
Summer here in Spain is fully alive! Between the afternoon heat, working endlessly on launching my first ever nutrition course (sign up HERE to stay notified!) and the sun not setting until about 10:30, cooking dinner has been the last thing on my mind. Thankfully my hubby loves to cook and we have been grilling and smoking up a storm!
Usually I like to have him grill enough meat for about 3 days so that we have leftovers for the next dinner and lunch. Honestly, I could eat grilled steak and chicken every night so no complaints here!
I have been addicted to cole slaw recently, which is sort of funny. As a child I never liked slaw, probably because I do NOT like mayo. My mom never really fed us very saucy or mayo filled food, so that is probably why. I also rarely eat cole slaw at parties or restaurants, because usually the first ingredient is sugar. Boo!
Well, recently I can’t get enough of this crunchy, tangy Paleo cole slaw (no sugar of course)! I made it a few times for family and friends and people asked for the recipe…well, truth be told I don’t measure, I just sort of add and taste to my preference.
I think there is something very therapeutic and relaxing about cooking, just to create something with your hands. Not cooking to focus on perfection or reading the recipe perfect, but just to create.
So here is how to make Paleo cole slaw without a recipe! Trust me, it is super simple and the beautiful part is that if you like a more creamy slaw, you can add more mayo, if you like it super tangy like me, you just add more vinegar.
Ps…this avocado oil mayo is AMAZING (coming from the girl who doesn’t like mayo!)
It stores fabulously for a few days in the refrigerator, so I like to make an extra large batch and eat it all week long.
You can add ingredients to suit your desires—sliced carrots or crunchy green apples, jalapeños or even golden raisins. Feel free to get creative and enjoy the process!
How to Make Paleo Cole Slaw Without a Recipe
makes a lot
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 1/2 head red cabbage
- Primal Kitchen’s avocado oil mayonnaise
- dijon mustard
- fresh lemon juice
- apple cider vinegar
- Celtic sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Thinly slice the cabbage and place in a large bowl, the largest you have.
- Add in a few spoonfuls of mayo (about 3) a dab of of dijon mustard, 1/2 of a fresh lemon juiced, and a few sprinkles of apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper.
- Use a large spatula or tongs to toss together.
- Taste and see what you are missing…Not enough punch, then add a bit more mustard and vinegar. Not enough salt and pepper, then add more. Not creamy enough, then add in another spoonful of mayo.
- Toss and taste again, remembering that the flavors will get stronger with time.
- Chill for an hour to let the flavors marinade.
- Toss and serve.