Our pantry might as well be an apothecary shop. Yes, at even the most minor symptoms of sickness, I pull out the arsenal—preparing is the most important part of building a holistic medicine cabinet full of natural alternatives. Taking the time to prepare your natural medicine cabinet intentionally allows you to support your child quickly and effectively without panicking.
Our children are bound to get sick, and preventing sickness is not our main goal; instead, helping their bodies navigate sickness more easily is the goal.
While sickness is a reality of being human and something we can’t or shouldn’t seek to prevent or suppress, there are many tools we can use to support our little ones’ symptoms and make their bodies stronger in the process. These natural medicines help knock out a runny nose, upset stomach, sore throat, ear infections, allergic reactions, and much more.
In addition to whole foods, limiting sugar, getting fresh air, drinking enough water, and encouraging good sleep habits, creating your natural medicine cabinet is a key puzzle piece in helping your child stay healthy!
Motherhood often comes with more questions than answers, and I am passionate about helping moms with the right natural, holistic tools to help make sick days just a bit easier.
Children’s pure bodies have the incredible ability to heal and quickly recover (most often). Even if you have had a sleepless night, watching this process unfold can be a beautiful journey.
If you are looking for a complete guide to supporting your child’s immune system and helping your child navigate common sicknesses, check out The Wellness Collective: Children’s Edition!
It’s here to be your ‘back pocket friend,’ your roadmap—providing a comprehensive protocol of holistic tools and remedies to help support your child’s immune system and unique symptoms during sickness. What’s great is that some of the items included on this list can also be found in our suggestions for overall immune system support for the whole family, adults included.
This is intended to educate and hopefully enhance your knowledge as your care for your children. Flourish, Caroline Potter (FNTP), and the information provided should not be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition under any circumstances. The information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
Building a Natural Medicine Cabinet for Kids
1. Mānuka for Munchkins | Meet your child’s daily multivitamin straight from Mother Nature—a spoonful of this Mānuka honey is my top daily go to for the whole family. One of the simplest ways to keep your child healthy and happy, our raw Mānuka honey is a superfood treat, packed with a nutritional punch. This is not your average jar of honey, but a potent Manuka Honey high in antibacterial properties, active enzymes, and very effective against antibiotic-resistant strains. It is important to note that the Manuka Honey commonly carried in grocery stores is lower in MGO, the compound that makes this honey so potent + magical, than the one we stock in our online apothecary. Conventional medicine has nothing on Manuka Honey; from sandbox scrapes to bee stings, you can’t go wrong with having this in your tool kit!
It is beautifully supportive of the immune and digestive systems (both of which are interconnected) and can be used as daily immune support, seasonal allergy support, or increased at first signs of active sickness.
Check out 10 Holistic Uses for Mānuka Honey
2. Pure Radiance Vitamin C Powder | Flu season is quickly approaching, and Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that can support a healthy immune system and optimal cellular functioning. With the stress of modern times and mineral-depleted soil, most of us, including our kids, need more Vitamin C, especially during the first symptoms of sickness and during active sickness.
For little ones, Vitamin C powder can be sprinkled atop apple sauce, added to a smoothie, or mixed in with water, formula, or milk. This is a great option for ensuring they’re getting plenty of this beautiful addition to your home apothecary.
Look for a Vitamin C supplement made from whole foods—this ensures that the vitamins work synergistically to support your body and contain the right nutrients, enzymes bioflavonoids to be properly absorbed within the body.
Vitamin C can also be added to bath water to neutralize chlorine and chloramine—two toxic chemicals found in almost all water. Add 1 teaspoon of Vitamin C Powder as you fill up the tub, a few minutes before your littles get in. This can be especially supportive after swimming.
3. Propolis Cough Syrup – Nighttime | Soothe nighttime struggles, coughs and congestions—help your littles get back to playing, learning, sleeping and doing what they love. With nature-powered ingredients like buckwheat honey, elderberry, and propolis, this potent blend soothes the immune system and supports recovery to help your little ones get back on their feet.
4. Chamomilla | This homeopathic remedy is known for helping with teething discomfort and irritability. It is also calming for little ones who are overly stressed or exhausted, which can often happen during active sickness. Chamomilla is a great remedy for upset tummies and can be found in pellet or oil form. This herb has been one of the highest-ranking and top favorite natural remedies around the world for centuries and can be found in many herbal medicine cabinets around the world due to its many different uses. (Source)
5. Manuka Immune Elixir | This daily-use elixir is the ultimate immune system support as the first thing to reach for short and long-term support. This delicious blend has everything you need in ONE bottle and great for the whole family! Medicinal grade manuka honey gives a foundation of immune + digestive support and is high in anti bacterial properties. Silver helps breaks down the DNA of invader cells to help you respond and recover quickly. Astragalus and echinacea are both preventative and modulating immune supporting herbs. I saw a huge difference in how my body responded to sickness last winter when taking this consistently and our children love it too.
6. Coated Silver | Coated Silver is a powerful antimicrobial that can eliminate viruses, fungi, yeast, and mold. It’s a beautiful defense against common pathogens, encouraging the body to navigate these illnesses more easily—which is always the goal. Coated Silver causes the cells and DNA of the bacteria or invader to break apart, decreasing the impact of the invader on the body.
Add 1 drop to water or a few drops to a humidifier for small children to help support clear breathing and lung health. For older children, you can add it to a Neti Pot or use it in a glass of water as a throat gargle with a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt.
7. Arnica | The most used and widely known homeopathic remedy, we keep a bottle in the car, purse, and kitchen as it is perfect for emergency-type moments. Especially if you are a boy mama (!!), take immediately after any fall, trauma, bruising, muscle aches, sprains, broken bones, shock, and even emotional shock. It can also be taken before and after surgery (such as circumcision). Arnica helps decrease the trauma of the injury or event, helps reduce pain and swelling, and helps the body reabsorb blood after surgery or impact. Arnica 30c is the potency used most often; 200c can be used more short-term or for intense injuries, falls, postpartum, etc. Also a wonderful remedy for birth and postpartum—both for mama and baby!
8. Magnesium | Magnesium is our body’s anti-stress mineral, responsible for hundreds of reactions within the body. Due to modern farming practices, refined diets, and mineral-depleted soil, it’s very easy for one to become deficient. This is always my go-to support for overstimulated children to help combat nightmares or encourage deep, restful sleep. This Magnesium Lotion is gentle even on sensitive skin and something the whole family can use.
9. Mānuka Essential Oil | This oil is incredibly healing and works VERY quickly. It’s my go-to for any scrapes, burns, or boo-boos—one drop is all you need. At first signs of coughs or congestion, I make a natural chest rub and massage it on their chest every few hours. I’ve noticed a quick shift in their symptoms. It’s wonderful to diffuse to cleanse the air when sickness is present in your house. I love to combine Manuka Essential Oil with lavender and eucalyptus essential oils in my little’s diffusers at night to promote deep sleep and clear breathing.
Other Homeopathic Remedies
When it comes to homeopathy, there is no one remedy for a fever or a cough—it’s all about how the person or your child presents with their unique symptoms, which is one reason why it’s so effective…and often confusing. The top remedies I recommend keeping on hand are Belladonna, Aconite, Pulsatilla, Gelsemium, and Spongia Toasta—find all my favorites here in the dispensary.
In the Homeopathic Collective, I walk you through exactly how to use these and what remedy will help your child given their unique symptoms relating to fever, cough, earache, congestion, etc.
I also highly recommend getting a copy of Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants to reference—it’s a book I open almost daily.