So it is officially freezing in California, yes I know I know I went to college in Michigan so I know what actual freezing is, but for this Hawaii girl 45 degrees is freezing! But I am loving every single minute, because I get to wear boots and scarves and cute little pom-pom hats!
I have been in Southern California for a few days and it has been so nice to have all my family together, something that doesn’t always happen so often due to the fact that we live on complete opposite ends of the country, yes Hawaii is quite literally in the middle of the ocean!
So, we have been warming up with peppermint mochas and slices of warm cinnamon swirl coffee crumb cake from my cookbook, All American Paleo Table, which pretty much is too darn good to be healthy, but it is!
Enough about me, can we talk about this grain-free and Paleo cinnamon spice bread?! In my pre-grain-free days something I loved the most was a slice of spice bread or cake or really any fun pastry with a hot cup of coffee! I truly love cinnamon and spice!
Sometimes grain-free and Paleo baking can get a bit complicated, so I wanted to create something that was so simple to make and only requires one bowl of clean up (because no one likes clean up)! My Morning Butter Biscuits have been such a hit that I played with the ingredients and techniques and came up with this one bowl cinnamon spice bread easily made in your blender or food processor.
And let me tell you, this bread is dense in the good way, but with a light and fluffy texture all at the same time, yes, I know that seems to not make any sense but just trust me! The key really is getting the batter completely smooth, which your high speed blender will do with just the touch of a finger and then this bread will rise like no other grain free bread!
This bread is a great way to introduce your family and friends into healthy eating, because it has the same texture and flavors that you would find in a pastry at your favorite coffee shop! Enjoy!
Grain-Free Cinnamon Spice Bread
makes 1 large loaf or 12 slices (13.2 g carb per slice)
- 8 tbsp butter or ghee, melted
- 3 cups raw cashew pieces
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon*
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger*
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat & unsweetened
- 2 tbsp maple syrup**
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
*I used Primal Palate’s organic spices for best quality and taste.
**You can eliminate the syrup for something less sweet (really doesn’t affect taste much) and substitute with additional coconut milk.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and arrange the baking rack to the lowest possible position. Line a 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Fill a small heat proof bowl with water and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter then set is aside to cool for several minutes.
- Add all ingredients, in the order they are listed, to a blender. Blend on high for 1 minutes or until the batter is completely smooth (this will depend on the speed and strength of your blender).
- Pour the bread batter into the parchment lined loaf pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Place the loaf pan on the bottom baking rack and the small heat proof bowl of water next to it.
- Bake for 40-44 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before lifting up on the edges of the parchment paper to carefully remove the bread. Allow the bread to cool for an additional 20 minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve warm with a pad of butter!