I will be honest—I am the girl that goes to bed dreaming of what to make for breakfast. If it wasn’t for the thought of breakfast and a hot cup of coffee, I probably would never make it out of bed, well if it wasn’t for the golden retriever who playfully nudges me hello promptly at the same time each morning! When I was in the hospital last month, I was dreaming of a good breakfast and hot cup of coffee, cooking and photographing and returning to doing what I love.
I usually choose eggs for breakfast, but sometimes coffee tastes best with a good breakfast pastry. A sweet friend of mine made my banana bread and brought it to me in the hospital with the most fabulous tulips. It touched my heart that food can truly be a gift and bring so much joy into peoples lives, so that inspired me to make these breakfast cakes. They would make for fabulous gifts or treats to take your friends in time of need!
My husband gave me this adorable mini bundt cake pan for my birthday and I have been attempting to turn everything into bundt cakes ever since—yes, because pretty food always tastes best! I wanted these grain and gluten free breakfast bundt cakes to be a healthy breakfast cake, not overly sweet. Coconut flour is rich in protein and quality carbohydrates, making it a good breakfast choice to keep you satisfied throughout your morning. The batter is slightly sweet studded with fresh juicy raspberries and crunchy cacao nibs, drizzled with a simple honey butter glaze for some added sweetness. Cacao nibs are “natures pure chocolate chips” made straight from the cacao plant and are slightly bitter but rich in antioxidants, iron and magnesium. If you are making these for kids or wanting something sweeter, you could always substitute dark chocolate chunks instead.
Coconut flour is the most dense grain free flour, but it is nut free making this a fabulous healthy choice for back to school snacks or those with allergies. I prefer these grain free raspberry bundt cakes served slightly warm, with an extra slice of butter and my morning ritual of coffee with coconut milk and a pinch of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Grain Free Raspberry Cacao Nib Breakfast Bundt Cakes
Grain, gluten and nut free Paleo breakfast bundt cakes sweetened with fresh, juicy raspberries and sweet honey. Crunchy cacao nibs give these little cakes a rich flavor finished with a drizzle of sweet honey glaze. A perfect, healthy treat to eat for breakfast!
makes 8 mini bundt cakes
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt (coconut yogurt for dairy free)
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cacao nibs
- 8 oz fresh raspberries
Honey Butter Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a mini bundt pan with coconut oil or butter.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together eggs, yogurt, butter, honey and vanilla. Sift in coconut flour and baking soda. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and blend until smooth. Fold in cacao nibs and raspberries, stirring just until raspberries are crushed and release their color and juice.
- Spoon batter into mini bundt cake pans, filling 2/3 the way full.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the glaze by melting together honey and butter. Remove from heat and allow the glaze to cool and thicken for a few minutes.
- Drizzle over warm cakes, serve and enjoy!
This & That
- If you are wanting something sweeter, you can substitute the cacao nibs with chocolate chunks.
- If you are like me and wanting something less sweet, you can serve this simply with butter or whipped cream.