A basket full of the most beautiful fruits and vegetables along with Libby, the always friendly golden retriever, attempting to wag her tail hello at everyone, in one hand. And, a glass of lilikoi kombucha in the other hand, my weekly trip to the farmers market was the start to a sunny Hawaiian weekend.
As I arrived home unloading my bright red strawberries, bunches of green basil and the creamiest locally made goat cheese, my arms were tired but my heart was happy. There sat in my kitchen bunches of fresh, local foods coloring my kitchen table in every hue. To me there is something charming about trips to the market and thoughts racing through my head of what to make with the now plethora of foods that now graced my table.
Part of my June challenge this week (check out this fun summer series!), was to create a dish using ingredients from the farmers market, prepared in a way I had never done before. So, when I arrived home with fresh goat cheese, basil and tomatoes, my thoughts were endless, however I had to challenge myself to do something unique. So, I began placing the little tomatoes on skewers and eventually grilling these tomato lollipops. Like with roasting vegetables, the heat of the grill turns these bright tomatoes into sweet jewels of color and taste.
I love meals that allow you to be creative, mixing and cooking away, and this dish is meant to inspire you to cook together with your friends or family making something creative rather than simply following a strict recipe. There is something about finger foods that bring people together, gathering around the table to eat and enjoy. So enjoy the cooking process adding whatever fresh herbs or grilled meats to this dish. I chose to serve the blistered tomatoes with warm grain-free rolls and fresh, locally made goat cheese for a delicious appetizer. The creamy goat cheese instantly melts when spread onto warm rolls and the result is simply divine!
Enjoy this summer recipe inspired by cooking from the market!
Market Grilled Tomato Kabobs with Basil and Fresh Goat Cheese
Grilled tomato kabobs for a creative summer grilled caprese salad. Serve with warm grain free rolls and fresh goat cheese.
- 1 pint/basket cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4-8 oz herbed goat chèvre
- 1 recipe grain free white, fluffy rolls
- First, make the grain free bread rolls. While they are baking prepare the dressing and tomato kabobs. Mix together dressing combining oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Rinse tomatoes, then carefully slide onto kabob skewers. Lightly brush kabobs with olive oil.
- Heat grill to medium keeping it between 400-450 degrees F.
- Grill tomato kabobs 4-5 minutes, rotating half way through—remove from grill right as they are about to pop.
- Garnish with a drizzle of dressing and sprinkle of green onions and basil.
- Serve with warm rolls and fresh herb goat cheese, using remaining balsamic dressing for a dipping sauce for your bread.