The first time I heard about oil cleansing, I honestly thought it was a joke. Then I thought, this is crazy, “You want me to clean my face with oil?!” I swore I would never do it. Well let’s just say, “never say never!”
Oil cleansing is based off the scientific principle that “like cleanses like” so natural, cleansing oils cleanse the impurities, grime and un-beneficial oils from your skin without stripping it of its natural moisture and sensitive, beneficial oils!
But you might be wondering, Caroline, “Oil clogs my skin my skin and leads to more breakouts, right?!”
Well, using harsh face washes and “oil-free moisturizers” strip your face of its natural, beneficial and sensitive face oils, only drying out your skin more. When this happens, your face actually overproduces oil in attempt to protect itself and can lead to clogged pores, breakouts, and oily skin. Yes, over cleansing or cleansing with harsh products can actual weaken the skin barrier and lead to damaged, dehydrated and dull skin.
With oil cleansing, you are giving your skin the beneficial oils it needs & CRAVES but also maintain the face’s delicate pH balance and strengthen the skin’s barrier.
What Happened to My Skin When I Switched to Oil Cleansing
Like I said before, I was a huge skeptic of the oil cleansing method, but little by little I started cleansing my face with oil and warm water each night and noticed something crazy.
- started to have less and less blemishes and breakouts
- felt SO clean & refreshed
- was soft & hydrated without being greasy or dried out
- required less makeup daily because it was clear and “luscious”
…and one of the craziest things I noticed was the “junk” in my pores seem to go away and my pore size greatly decreased!! <— Large pore size and just feeling like there is so much junk trapped in your pores has always been my number one skin complaint.
Oil cleansing works!!
When I was pregnant, SO sick and too tired or “didn’t have enough” time to oil cleanse, I noticed that after 1-2 days of not oil cleansing, the “junk” in my pores and large pore size would return and my skin just felt dull. So, I was hooked on this method of cleansing!
You see I have always felt with blemishes, hormonal/adult acne, large pores and just dull skin in general. I never felt like my skin had that luscious glow to it. Oil cleansing transformed my skin for good!!
My favorite oil for cleansing?
Primally Pure’s Cleansing Oil …and you can close from normal, oily or acne prone skin, or dry skin. If you have a combination type skin, I would choose normal oil. I also love Beautycounter’s Cleansing Balm. It is more of a price commitment, although one jar lasts about a year (seriously!), but this has worked better for me when my skin is more irritated.
I can’t say enough good things about this method of cleansing your face and how it has helped finally clear up my skin!
Tips for Oil Cleansing
- Start with makeup-less skin (I do NOT always do this but you will get the best results this way). I recommend using Beautycounter’s biodegradable One Step Makeup Remover Wipes for the easiest, best result to quickly get your makeup off.
- If you think your skin has too much moisture, don’t apply a nighttime moisturizer every day. Simply spritz with Lavender Complexion Mist or Everything Spray to balance your skin’s pH and provide some moisture.
- If you are still skeptical, as I was at first, start using Beautycounter’s Cleansing Balm as a “nighttime mask”—simply apply a thin layer to clean skin before bed time. This is initially what made me realize the great benefit in oil cleansing!
- Apply the cleansing oil to your skin and let it soak into your skin for 1 minute before washing.
- Use warm water and an organic cotton washcloth soaked in warm water to “steam” your face and help wipe off the excess oil.
- Always do the oil cleansing method at night and only oil cleanse once a day.
Have you tried oil cleansing? Tell me your thoughts and if you are skeptical like I once was!