Truth be told, I don’t like mashed potatoes, never have and probably never will! It doesn’t matter how much butter, salt or cream is added to them—maybe I am just that weird person, but even as a child I just never liked them! Now, me and French fries…thats a whole different thing! But this creamy cauliflower mash (coming from the girl who also never likes cauliflower) is like magic! Seriously, just plain magic. I could eat it bowl after bowl and it is just too good to be true…or healthy that is!
And if we are being honest here, my husband told me that these “mashed potatoes” were the best he had ever had and so creamy too! Well, secret is out because it actually is cauliflower! I am sure if you have read some of my other blog posts, you will know I used to have the biggest fear of cauliflower. So if you were anything like me, give this comfort food bowl a try and I promise you will love it!
I always say I have two rules about food—it must be healthy and it must be delicious! And these BBQ meatballs over creamy mashed cauliflower with crispy shallots does just that.
I absolutely love the “Kicking BBQ Sauce” I created for my cookbook as it is smoky, slightly spicy and with just the right amount of sweetness. I try to keep a jar in my refrigerator because we love to grill and just a splash of the sauce makes everything delicious!
If Christmas and the holiday season has you extra busy, make this recipe because it is so simple and satisfying for a comfort food dinner!
Paleo BBQ Meatballs with Cauliflower Mash
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 11/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp bacon grease or olive oil
- 1/2 cup Kicking BBQ Sauce (recipe on page 118 of All American Paleo Table)
- 1 large cauliflower
- 4 tbsp butter, ghee or bacon grease
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 shallots
- 4 handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, warm a large skillet to medium heat and bring water in the bottom of a steamer basket to a boil.
- In a mixing bowl, use your hands to mix together the meat and all salt and dried spices, being careful not to over mix so that the meat becomes gummy.
- Melt the bacon grease in the skillet. Use your hands to shape the meatballs into small round balls. Pan sear them in the skillet for 4 minutes, rotating so that all sides are browned.
- Place them in a baking dish, with sides touching. Drizzle the BBQ sauce over the top of the meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the cauliflower into individual florets or chunks. Place in the steamer basket for 15 minutes or until tender to touch with a fork. Remove the steamer basket from the boiling water, allowing any excess water to drain out.
- Add the cauliflower to a blender along with the butter, salt and garlic. Briefly blend until smooth.
- In the skillet that you seared the meatballs, sauté the shallots and spinach until cooked.
- Assemble your bowls by adding a scoop of cauliflower mash, a few meatballs and your sautéed shallots and spinach. Top with extra BBQ sauce and fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.