Something I have loved the most about the blogging & nutrition world is getting to connect with some amazing and super talented people who are always the most friendly of folks! Enter the dynamic duo Bill and Hayley of Primal Palate—who have not only written 4 cookbooks (this latest one along with Hayley’s sister Caitlin), but they are probably some of the most down to earth people truly just living life! They have been such an inspiration to me in this cookbook writing and food photography adventure and I am so thankful to have great people to learn from!
So confession, their beautiful new book Make it Paleo 2 came in the mail in the midst of my writing my own cookbook, when I could barely think about anything but measuring, creating and photographing all day. But this cookbook is so pretty and creative that it sat on my desk as life piled up around me and I would look at it all the time thinking I cannot wait to cook from that book—and that my friends is totally how looking through a cookbook should be! Bill and Hayley do an incredible job not only making this real food way of eating practical but they also pack their recipes with creativity so that your table is filled with tasty and delicious foods!
If you listened to our very first podcast this week, which I am so excited to share with you all, you may have heard me say that my goal of the week is to eat more meat, because with my husband gone sometimes I totally forget, oops! So I have been eating this delicious lamb barbacoa all week and turning it into a Paleo friendly burrito bowl using cauliflower rice and trust me the topping ideas are endless. I even made an omelet with the leftovers for breakfast this morning. I picked up these adorable baby radishes at the market and they are so peppery and crunchy! But… I’ll be honest, I really just bought them because they were so cute!
Make it Paleo 2 has everything from sweet and savory to Hayley’s unbelievably decorated cakes to lots of AIP or nightshade free suggestions, so this book truly provides something for everyone, plus its beautifully photographed! Enjoy this delicious recipe, which practically cooks itself and has endless serving options to suite you or your family’s needs, and be sure to check out Make it Paleo 2 for so many more great gourmet and healthy recipes.
Paleo Lamb Barbacoa Tacos from Make it Paleo 2
I turned this delicious shredded lamb into a burrito bowl using cauliflower rice, but Make it Paleo 2 has a great tortilla recipe which is how the authors and directions recommend serving it.
- I tbsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp rendered lard
- tortillas, for serving
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the spice mix and stir to evenly combine.
- Pour the water into a slow cooker and turn the heat to high. Cover the lamb shoulder with the mustard, then evenly distribute the spice mix all over the lamb. Make sure to get it into all of the crevices as best you can.
- Heat the lard in a heavy skilled over medium to medium-high heat. The lard should be very hot, but not smoking. Sear the lamb on all sides to give it a golden brown crust. Place the lamb in the slower cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before the lamb has finished cooking, prepare the tortillas.
- When fully cooked, the lamb should shred easily with a fork. Remove the lamb from the slow cooker and shred it.
- Top each tortilla with the shredded lamb and garnish with the toppings of your choice.