Beauty is all around us. Sometimes its the quite moments of life that are the most precious, or the difficult moments that yield later victory, or the simple moments that exude natural beauty. Beauty is a sunset or a baby’s face or the sound of the ocean waves. Often, beauty is a moment, captured on camera, preserving that moment of joy.
Recently, photography has captured my heart, inspired me to dream, challenged my limits and opened my eyes to the everyday beauty all around us. I would never have dreamed that I would develop a love for photography and click away at my camera each day. I guess having an auto-immune disease really changes your life, but in a sense I am thankful as it has shaped my passions and dreams.
A few months back, when Kylie first contacted me about shooting some of my recipes, I squealed with excitement! Her film photography is absolutely beautiful and her way of capturing moments in time is breathtaking. We photographed my blackberry mojitos which was featured on Style Me Pretty and then spent the rest of the afternoon photographing some new recipes like this luscious lemon curd ice cream. Kylie’s way of capturing this fun summer ice cream and the joy behind my creations is simply beautiful.
I got the idea to add lemon curd to ice cream when I had some leftover from making my grain free lemon cake for a party. This lemon curd will have you wanting to eat it by the spoonful, so why not add it to ice cream for a sweet, refreshing treat! The lemon curd is entirely sweetened with honey and the ice cream can be made diary free or with regular milk, however I must admit I like it best with coconut milk. Top with some blackberries for a healthy, paleo friendly ice cream dessert. Before summer fades into fall, I wanted to share one last summer recipe with you all, although I promise you will enjoy this dairy free lemon curd ice cream all year long!
Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd Ice Cream
Tart and tangy lemon curd ice cream sweetened entirely with raw honey for a refreshing, creamy treat. Diary and refined sugar free lemon curd ice cream topped with fresh summer blackberries.
- 1 1/2 cup raw milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1/2 cup honey sweetened lemon curd
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- Begin by making the lemon curd. Melt the butter in a double boiler over low to medium heat. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Continue stirring for about 10-15 minutes until curd begins to thicken being careful to not let the curd boil or burn. Remove from heat and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- To make the ice cream, whisk together milk, cream yolks and honey. Pour into a sauce pan and heat until milk mixture starts to steam. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon curd. Chill ice cream batter for 2 hours in the refrigerator or make and ice bath to quicken the process.
- Freeze and churn in an ice cream makers according to maker’s instructions.
- Scoop and serve!
This & That
You will have extra lemon curd but it stores fabulously in the refrigerator and is a delicious topping to your favorite scone or biscuit recipe. The curd can be prepared a few days in advance and then simply added to the ice cream when needed.