Why are the little packages always the most expensive?! True life story—I rarely splurge on myself, in fact my husband mostly has to do it for me because I really need to learn to treat myself more often. So yes, when the nails are painted and there is a new outfit in the closet, I usually have him to thank!
But when it comes to fancy cheeses and charcuterie, all thoughts of money just go out the window for me. Pretty much I am like a little kid in a candy store! Since I can’t actually eat candy and most desserts are off limits for me, fancy cheeses are my go to treat! Yes, I may or may not have left the store with a bouquet of sunflowers, the tiniest bottle of truffle oil and a few packages of cheese and prosciutto and one very sad wallet, but hey I was having a rough day and these are my happy foods—so treat yourself!
On Saturday mornings I usually rush off early to the farmer’s market with the golden retriever in the back seat, still snoozing wondering why I dragged her out of her beauty sleep so early on a weekend. I pick out a few things then head home to put on a pot of coffee and usually I like to make omelettes, one of my go to favorite comfort foods, especially when breakfast for dinner is needed!
Well back to the tiny, expensive packages—I recently discovered smoked goat cheddar cheese and oh my goodness it is AMAZING! As promised on one of our podcast episodes of The Nourishing Buzz, I spoke of this cheese and told you all I would create a recipe for you. In Episode 7: “Personalizing Your Real Food Lifestyle”, we talk about different ways to make your way of eating personal and work for you. Thankfully for me that means being able to include good quality dairy in the forms of cream and cheeses. I usually stick with raw cheeses but have been absolutely loving the different flavors that come with goats milk or sheep’s milk cheeses. If regular cow’s milk dairy bothers you, you might want to give another form of dairy a try and this smoked goat cheddar is so flavorful and delicious!
Smoked Goat Cheddar and Bacon Omelette
A simple, savory omelette perfect for any meal of the day and full of nutritious ingredients and smoky flavor!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 1/2 cup smoked goat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Warm a small 8-inch cast iron skillet to medium low heat. Melt half the butter in the skillet and allow the skillet to heat up for a few minutes. Whisk together the eggs and cream until smooth.
- Sauté the spinach and green onions briefly until soft. Remove the greens from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter into the skillet, swirling around to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet allowing the edges to firm up before turning down the heat to low so that your eggs do not burn (be patient with this process). Just as the eggs are almost cooked through add back in your spinach, onions and bacon slices to one half of the omelette. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Use a spatula to carefully fold over, plate and serve.
- Garnish with sea salt flakes and fresh cracked black pepper.