Today we are diving into the popular Ketogenic diet–what it is, what it’s all about and why anyone would want to willingly jump into this diet! As Nutritional Therapy Practitioners, we’re sharing our take on the Keto diet, a few of the “pros” and some of the “cons” and why this diet can be amazing for some, but not so much for others.
We get a lot of questions about this diet specifically, but also on other diet trends and on today’s episode we wanted to make sure to clear up our thoughts and feelings on diets, in general. We’re big fans of creating balance within your food and lifestyle and we’re openly sharing how we feel about these trendy diets.
Since so much can be said about the Ketogenic diet, we wanted to share some resources with you in case you want to dig deeper. These resources cover both sides of the coin, those in favor and those less excited about the Keto diet so please take the time to look into each thoroughly if you’re considering trying it out.
- The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volek, PhD, RD and Stephen Phinney MD, PhD
- The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek, PhD, RD and Stephen Phinney MD, PhD
- Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore
- Post: Female, Carbohydrates and Hormones by Robb Wolf
- Post: The Ketogenic Diet and AFS by Dr. Lam
- Post: Gentle Carbs for GABA, Cortisol and Adrenal Health by Lara Briden
- Post: Have You Lost Your Period to a Low Carb or Keto Diet? By Lara Briden
- Post: Low Carb Diet Recovery by Kim Schuette
06:22 | What is a ketogenic diet?
12:20 | Difference between keto and a high-fat diet
16:00 | Pros of the keto diet–blood sugar, weight loss, athletic performance, etc.
24:30 | Potential cons of the keto diet–sustainability, food quality, hormones, etc.