I’ve loved being able to care for my skin and relax my mind + body with these DIY spa day rituals. This is a great way to relax and recharge from the comforts of your home and on your own timetable. If you’re anything like me, the act of cleansing your face, applying a face mask or taking a quick soak in the bathtub can instantly refresh your mood, energy and day allowing you to “pour from a full cup” and serve your responsibilities and loved ones better.
Let’s be real—the demands of life (and raising small children if you are in that season like me) mean that a full service spa or facial routine most likely won’t happen. The great thing about this routine is you can pick and choose what you want to do! Each step plays an important role in your skin’s health and your self care strategy.
We are breaking it down with ideas for 5, 15 and 30 minutes—so no matter how little time you have, you can treat yourself to an in home spa routine.
Practical ideas to relax, recharge + create a spa like environment in your home
These simple at home spa day rituals can transform your environment and mood, reset your day and make your ‘mundane’ routines a bit more peaceful, relaxing and joyful.
- Light a candle
- Turn on some relaxing music
- Diffuse palo santo or essential oils
- Get into your pajamas before dinner or just after dinner + before cleaning up
- Apply a face mask before cleaning up for dinner or folding laundry
- Dry brush your face or arms while watching a movie or chatting with a friend
- Add a splash of lemon to your water or sparkling water
- Brew a cup of chamomile or mint tea
- Enjoy a square of dark chocolate or some buttery shortbread
The Easiest DIY Spa Day Ideas for Self Care
Although I’m not the biggest fan of multitasking, this is where you can strategically multitask and make the most of your time! Let your face mask settle into your skin while you are cleaning up from dinner or planning out your week ahead. Even the simple action of lighting a candle can decrease stress and bring a joyful moment.
Pick and choose from this list of at home spa treatments what serves you, your skin and your self care best in the moment! No matter what season of life you are in currently, give yourself 5 minutes or 30 minutes to pause, slow down and show your mind, body, soul and skin some self care.
DIY Spa Routines in 5 Minutes
*Pick one idea that serves you best!*
- Dry brushing or facial dry brushing
- Apply a face mask, let it soak in while you clean up the house or do the dishes. Takes just a few minutes to apply then you can do something else while it soaks in.
- Give yourself a neck massage: rub in a thin layer of CBD Relief Balm to the base of your neck and shoulders, then use a gua sha stone on your neck and shoulders for an in-home massage.
- Oil cleanse your face — this luxurious cleansing oil feels like a trip to a spa. You will get a deep cleanse without drying out your skin and a glowing complexion.
DIY Spa Routines in 15 Minutes
*Pick one idea serves you best!*
- Quick soak in the tub—even just a few minutes allows your body to recharge. While I love a lengthy, relaxing soak in the tub, reality means most likely this only lasts for 10-15 minutes but always leaves me so refreshed! Add magnesium bath flakes and love these CBD bath salts for an extra relaxation—you’ll sleep so well after!
- In home steam facial: Cleanse, hot wash cloth, exfoliate, moisturize and gua sha. Take your time savoring each step. While you cleanse your face, apply a steaming wash to give yourself an in home steam facial. Apply your cleanser then hold a hot wash cloth over your face until it cools. Repeat this several times before moving on to the next step.
- Body Exfoliation: Gently exfoliate and remove any dead skin cells with this luxurious and gentle 5 Salt Detox Body Scrub leaving your skin silky soft and your body refreshed. This works amazing on your feet too—just be careful and don’t slip. Rinse in the shower.
DIY Spa Routines in 30 Minutes
*You just may have time for the full service! Pick and choose what serves you best.*
Step 1: CLEANSE
Always start with clean skin to make the most of the next steps! This step can refresh your skin + mood instantly after a long day.
- Biodegradable Makeup Remover Wipes: Remove your makeup first so that your cleanser can be more effective!
- Countertime Cleansing Oil: This luxurious cleansing oil itself feels like a trip to a spa. You will get a deep cleanse without drying out your skin and a glowing complexion.
- Use a hot wash cloth to steam your face. Apply your cleanser then hold a hot wash cloth over your face until it cools. Repeat this several times before moving on to the next step.
Step 2: EXFOLIATE
Exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells that collect on the skin’s top layer and remove any grime or buildup from external factors like sweat or makeup. As we age, our skin’s natural exfoliation process slows down, so it can be helpful to manually exfoliate your skin! Be careful not to overly exfoliate or use harsh chemicals or peels as those can damage your skin’s sensitive barrier and lead to dull skin, irritation or breakouts.
- Clear Pore Cleanser: For a deep clean without drying out your skin, it uses eco friendly jojoba beads to gently slough away dead skin cells (rather than micro plastics like most ‘exfoliating’ cleansers)! I use this daily (or twice a day) in the summer, but just on occasion during the winter when I really want to treat my skin.
- Microderm Instant Glow Exfoliator: This mimics microderm treatments but in the most gentle way straight from the comforts of your home. This is gentle even for sensitive skin and truly works to remove impurities and soften skin. A little goes a long way!
- Facial Dry Brushing: One of my favorite ways to gently exfoliate and a great skincare tool. I often multi task with this while I’m getting breakfast ready for the little ones. This helps remove dead skin cells and boost blood flow under the skin so the benefits are both internal and external!
Step 3: FACIAL MASK
As the mask sits on your skin and soaks in you can soak in the tub, call a friend, listen to a podcast or even clean up your house (I love doing this because it adds a bit of joy into your normal rituals).
- Clarifying Mask: This one smells SO fresh and quickly calms breakouts or blemishes. It’s great to spot treat any blemish spots if you don’t have time or want to do a full mask.
- Soothing Mask with CBD: Potent in antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits, this hemp-derived CBD infused mask powerfully improves sensitive skin, acne-prone complexions, and inflammatory conditions.It is a calming way to start your evening wind-down ritual and I always notice I sleep well and wake up refreshed after using this mask!
Step 4: BATH SOAK + BODY EXFOLIATION
A powerful way to truly let your body fully relax and recharge. Put your phone in the other room on silent so you can “escape” for a bit!
- Dry Brushing: Start here when your skin is dry to gently remove dead skin, boost lymphatic drainage and increase blood flow.
- Body Exfoliation: Gently exfoliate and remove any dead skin cells with this luxurious and gentle 5 Salt Detox Body Scrub leaving your skin silky soft and your body refreshed.
- Bath salts: While I love a lengthy, relaxing soak in the tub, reality means most likely this only lasts for 10-15 minutes but always leaves me so refreshed! Add magnesium bath flakes or these CBD bath salts for an extra relaxation—you’ll sleep so well after!
Step 5: TREAT + MOISTURIZE
Lock in the moisture your unique skin needs—this is so important to maintain our skin’s delicate moisture barrier and bring out more of our skin’s beneficial oils that keep our skin youthful and glowing. Take your time savoring this step as movement across your skin gets blood flowing.
- Treat: Choose what serum your skin needs. My favorites are Clarifying Serum (to help with blemishes + breakouts), Overnight Resurfacing Peel (for glowing skin—use in the PM) and Tripeptide Radiance Serum (for a youthful glow).
- Moisturize: I love both these luxurious options— Blue Tansy Beauty Cream and Countertime Antioxidant Cream.
Step 6: NECK + SHOULDER MASSAGE
This step is just the cherry on the top for total relaxation and releasing any tension!
- Rub in a thin layer of CBD Relief Balm to the base of your neck and shoulders
- Use a gua sha stone (or your fingers) in slow, smooth strokes to massage your neck and shoulders.
What is your go to self care strategy to treat your skin from the comforts of your home?
leave a comment