I tend to be that person that falls in love with a meal or flavor and just eats it on repeat for a few weeks! Well, last week was one of those weeks, where pesto and simplicity where calling my name and something magical came together.
Truth be told, as much as I love cooking, I love the process more. Creating just to create and putting together ingredients as I see fit. Most of my meals are very simply just like this one—so if the beach has been calling your name and your spending more time outdoors than in the kitchen this summer, make this gluten free caprese pesto chicken salad! I promise you will fall in love and be eating it on repeat!
The best way to keep this very simple and quick is to keep a jar of pesto in your refrigerator and then all you have to do is cook your chicken and voila! Keep in mind, since this dish is so simple, the real flavor is going to come from the fresh ingredients, good olive oil and quality of chicken as well as cooking the chicken over real firewood which gives the most amazing, smoky flavor!
Gluten Free Caprese Pesto Chicken Salad
- 4 organic chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups bocconcini mozzarella balls
- 1 cup fresh basil pesto
- arugula and micro-greens for serving
- Place the chicken, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir together so that the chicken is evenly coated with the marinade.
- Warm your grill or smoker to medium-high heat (this chicken taste best when cooked with real fire wood, makes a huge difference).
- Grill the chicken for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your meat. Use a brush to brush on any remaining marinade in the bowl as you flip the chicken to the other side.
- While the chicken is cooking, toss together your tomatoes, mozzarella, pesto and a few handfuls of arugula.
- Allow the warm chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing and serving on top of your pesto caprese salad.
- Leftovers store fabulously.