Chicken alfredo of your dreams—a simple, cozy and healthy dinner to make together!
This grain and gluten free garlic chicken alfredo has quickly become a favorite dinner in our house and one we love to make together. Truth be told Stephen and I would rather make dinner together than go out on Valentine’s day. We both absolutely love the taste and ease of this chicken alfredo and it is a great meal to make as a couple, as there are tasks for each of you. Thankfully you can’t really mess up chicken alfredo—so instead of being glued to a recipe, you can measure, stir and enjoy a glass of wine together!
Honestly, I have often just sat on the counter and let him make this chicken alfredo for me, because having your man make you dinner…it doesn’t get much better than that!
What are your plans for Valentine’s day? We usually opt for a day date and a cozy night at the house making a meal together and cozying up on the couch with a fire to keep us warm! I absolutely love romantic gestures, but really get stressed by the commercialization of it all…so I encourage you to take the time to do something special. Hey even if you don’t have a significant other, take the time to plan a girls night or a spa day with your mom! Having something special planned to look forward makes life a whole lot of fun!
Truly I could live off of this grain and gluten free garlic chicken alfredo it is just that good! So make something special for your Valentine this year, or let’s be honest, just make this every day and be healthy and happy!
You can’t really mess this recipe up but I do have one little tip. Since most chicken alfredo recipes call for flour to thicken the sauce, you must make sure that you slowly heat your milk and that it combines fully with the butter before adding the cheese. This will insure that the sauce thickens and does not separate and look oily!
For the pasta lover like myself, Cappello’s grain and gluten free fettuccine truly makes this dish, but I also LOVE chickpea pasta and that is our go to most often. Chickpea pasta is high in fiber and low glycemic and you won’t feel all bloated or full afterwards.
If you can’t have dairy, I seriously apologize, but there is a FABULOUS dairy-free chicken alfredo recipe in my cookbook, All American Paleo Table, that has stole my dairy loving heart!
Grain-Free Garlic Chicken Alfredo
serves 2 + leftovers
- 1 lb chicken boneless & skinless breasts or thighs + olive oil, salt & pepper to season
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp good dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 packed cup good quality parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 package Cappello’s grain-free fettuccine or Banza chickpea pasta
- garnish with fresh chives, rosemary and cracked black pepper
- Prepare a pot of salted water to boil the pasta.
- Warm a large skillet of your BBQ to medium heat. Season your chicken breasts or thighs with a layer of olive oil and then salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pan sear or BBQ your chicken about 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Place in a warm oven to keep warm while you make the pasta and sauce.
- Warm a skillet to medium-low heat and melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic, dijon, sea salt and dried oregano, sautéing for a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Reduce your pan’s heat to low. Slowly pour in the cream, stirring in a circular motion (the same direction). Continue stirring and heating the milk as you want it to be warm but not burnt. Your sauce will be ready when the butter and milk have unified as a sauce, don’t skip this step as it is important for the consistency.
- Sprinkle in the cheese a handful at a time, stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Prepare your pasta noodles according to the package’s instructions. Thinly slice the chicken. Stir the cooked noodles into the sauce and top sliced chicken.
- Garnish with chives, rosemary and fresh cracked black pepper.