I have totally been stuck in a rut recently when it comes to making vegetables fun to eat! I probably say this over and over, but sometimes I completely forget to eat my veggies, I mean I am totally a burger and steak kind of girl, yes all healthy too! And yes, even a food blogger cookbook author like me can get stuck preparing the same roasted veggies over and over for dinner some nights, although that never really gets boring!
So I decided to experiment and make some butternut squash “rice” the other day! Truthfully I didn’t think I would like it, but oh my goodness I could not stop eating this grain-free rice topped with a savory sausage and mushroom ragu. Ok technically it’s not a ragu but I really like that word, so hey I am just going to use it!
Butternut squash is a low-carb alternative to rice or other starchy foods like pasta or even potatoes so it is something I like to include in my eating routine, especially when it is in season right now! I absolutely love its bright vibrant color too as sometimes the fall and winter month can get a bit monotone when it comes to fresh foods!
And we all know the best way to eat our vegetables is when topped with lots of butter and bacon, and the combination of spicy sausage, crispy prosciutto and savory mushrooms is just completely magical! I am totally loving all things mushroom and prosciutto related recently…like can’t stop adding them to everything! So if you have been stuck in a rut recently, go get up and make this butternut squash “rice” spoon way too much of the sausage bits on top, open that bottle of wine you have been looking at all week and snuggle up to some Netflix, because that’s what I am doing tonight and you know you want to too!
Herbed Butternut Squash Rice with Sausage, Mushroom and Prosciutto Ragu
Herbed Butternut Squash Rice
- 1 3 lb butternut squash
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Sausage, Mushroom and Prosciutto Ragu
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- I lb spicy Italian sausages
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 oz prosciutto
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Use a sharp knife to carefully slice off the skins of the butternut squash and discard. Remove any inside strings or seeds and also discard. Cut the butternut squash into long chunks that will fit through your food processor. Use the grating attachment of a food processor to shred the butternut squash into “rice.”
- Warm a large skillet to medium-low heat and melt the 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the butternut squash rice, salt, thyme and herbs and sauté for 20 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile warm another large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sear the sausages until cooked through. Thinly slice the sausages into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Turn the pan’s heat down to medium-low and add the remaining olive oil and butter. Add the shallots and mushrooms, sautéing for several minutes. Tear the prosciutto into small pieces and add to the skillet. Sprinkle the salt on top. Once the shallots and mushrooms are soft, add the sausage back into the pan and give one last stir.
- Serve a spoonful of herbed butternut squash and top with a spoonful or two of the sausage, mushroom and prosciutto ragu.
- Eat warm and enjoy! Store any remaining rice and sausage mixture in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, reheating as needed.