This gluten free, low sugar granola is made with the perfect combination of oats, seeds and nuts and very minimally sweetened with pure maple sugar so that you can have a healthy treat full of nutrients and low in sugar!
Throughout my pregnancy, I have been craving yogurt and granola!! It has been on of the strongest and most consistent cravings I have had. For the first 22 weeks of pregnancy, I could not eat any nuts as they would make me so nauseous! (Read my first and second trimester recaps.)
A friend brought some homemade granola to me for Christmas and I secretly stashed away the jar and have been loving granola ever sense!
Most packaged Paleo and grain-free granolas are simply too sweet for me, with the exception of THIS one, which both my husband and I love! Low-glycemic foods that are made with quality ingredients are very hard to find, so usually I just resort to making them on my own! So typically I make the homemade gluten and grain free granola in my cookbook, although cooking has been ruled out for most of my pregnancy.
I love that this gluten free, low sugar granola comes together so easily and with one bowl so that the cleanup is very minimal! Made with the good ratio of oats, seeds, nuts and healthy fats from the coconut oil, this granola provides many nutrients and the perfect combination of healthy carbohydrates, protein and fat without all the added sugar so your blood sugar will remain stable.
Pistachios and pumpkin seeds are nutrition powerhouses for pregnancy and two foods that I have been craving too—crazy how your body signals what it needs! Pistachios are a good source of Vitamin A & E which can help boost your immune system and nutrients needed for baby’s growth. Pumpkin seeds are a great source fiber, zinc and plant based iron, all important nutrients during pregnancy too.
I know for a fact that I will be making many more batches of this granola once baby girl arrives in a few short weeks! I think this would make the perfect healthy treat to make for a friend postpartum or really anytime.
Pregnant nor not, I know you will love this gluten-free, low sugar granola!
Gluten-Free Low Sugar Granola
- 2 cups gluten free oats
- 1 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup finely ground golden flaxseed
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup*
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
*This is a not traditionally sweet granola, so if you are wanting a more sweet granola increase this to 1/4 cup maple syrup or even a bit more. Decrease the coconut oil amount by the amount of maple syrup you add so that the liquids even out. Keep in mind, the more maple syrup added the less cooking time required, so pay attention at the end.
- Warm the oven to 250 degrees F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, briefly stir together all dry ingredients.
- *If your coconut oil is not liquid, melt it.* Next, stir in the liquid ingredients until all ingredients are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the granola onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet, evenly so that the heat touches all the granola..
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring after 30 minutes. Stir again one last time and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until granola just starts to turn golden brown, paying attention as nuts can burn easily. Remove from the oven—do not touch or stir until granola has completely cooled as this helps it crisp up nicely.
- Store remaining granola in sealable glass container in a cool, dry location.
leave a comment