I honestly wish you could be in my kitchen when I create some of these recipes for you all! But, let me just give you a glimpse of what it may look like. Well, the golden retriever Libby always decides to lay in the center of the room so she is perfectly in the middle of everything. I make multiple trips to the grocery story throughout the day because I get inspired at random moments. I usually forget to right down the recipe so then I have to go back and redo the entire process. And I am probably saying something hilarious that only makes since in my head like, “Hang on I’m making clouds in the kitchen.” Yes that was me whipping up this amazing creamy vanilla bean filling which I wanted to eat by the spoonful!
I love having friends that invite themselves over to distract me from deadlines to make apple pies instead. Well, this friend ended up at my door step carrying the most beautiful peonies and a basket of fresh figs, and that is a major feat here in Hawaii. So while she made apple pies, I dreamed up this lovely fig tart. My husband literally came home to us rearranging our house into a photography studio while baking multiple different holiday desserts. The figs were so beautiful when I cut them open that I couldn’t stand the thought of cooking them. So I placed them atop my “cloud” of creamy vanilla filling with a drizzle of raw honey.
This tart is nut free and grain free, sweetened with a tad bit of raw honey for a light, dreamy dessert to add to your Christmas or holiday table. Baking during the holidays has always been a favorite memory of mine since childhood, but sometimes can seem so overwhelming in the midst of life and preparing a main dish. I wanted to create something that was light, showy, colorful and simple—a dessert you can take to a party and no one will ever know its grain or gluten free! Enjoy this joyful Christmas season and this dreamy grain free fig tart!
Grain Free Fresh Fig Vanilla Bean Tart (nut free, gluten free)
A toasted coconut crust filled with luscious vanilla bean cream, topped with fresh fig slices for a festive, grain and gluten free holiday dessert.
makes 1 rectangular tart, 13 3/4″ x 4 1/4″ x 1″
Toasted Coconut Tart Crust
- 1 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla Bean Cream Filling
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup raw honey + 1 tbsp for garnish
- 1 vanilla bean, split open and beans removed
- 1 pint fresh figs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set the mascarpone cheese on the counter to soften.
- Mix together coconut flakes and flour. Drizzle in oil, honey and vanilla mixing until all ingredients are incorporated and a crumbly mixture.
- Add coconut crumb mixture to a nonstick rectangular tart pan. Use the tips of your finger tips to spread, evenly pressing into the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until coconut begins to turn golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Whip together mascarpone, cream, honey and vanilla been until soft, fluffy peaks begin to form.
- Add to the cooled tart crust and use a spatula to smooth out the top. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour.
- Garnish with sliced figs and a drizzle of raw honey.
This & That
- The coconut crust is crumbly but firms up and holds together beautifully when chilled, which is why I recommend slicing and serving this dessert slightly cold. I use a nonstick rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom for ease of preparation and presentation.
- I recommend using Let’s Do Organic finely shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes as they will produce the best crust texture.